Does Sea Moss Help With Inflammation? All About Sea Moss Anti-inflammatory Properties
Reviewed by registered dietitian nutritionist Mariya Pastukhova, bachelor of science in nutrition and dietetics, New York, US
rish sea moss is an across-the-board remedy against many ailments — and it has been for centuries. Owing to its dense nutritional content, the seaweed can outstandingly contribute to your health. In this article, we are looking into the case of chronic inflammation from the scientific viewpoint and answering the following question: how does sea moss help with inflammation?
What’s special about sea moss vitamins?
Irish sea moss — a species of Red algae known as Chondrus crispus — gathered the world’s attention as a seaweed with dozens of micronutrients. In numerous pieces of research, Irish sea moss shines bright as a powerful booster for the human bodily processes that brim with antioxidants, enzymes and coenzymes, fatty and amino acids, trace minerals, and polysaccharides. The commitment of Irish sea moss can entirely transform your health.
What about True Sea Moss Irish moss?
At True Sea Moss we designed a way for everyone to choose sea moss supplements that fit both taste buds and lifestyle Our products have no artificial additives or added sugar, and are lab-tested.
True Sea Moss is where your sea moss journey shall begin! Visit our shop today! If you want to learn more from people who have been using this alga for years, check out our Case studies and visit our YouTube for fascinating interviews!
How does inflammation work?
Inflammation is the body’s reaction to harmful stimuli — a natural defensive response of your immune system to infection. It’s targeted at removing the cause of illness and initiating healing. The inflammation can be acute and chronic.
- Acute inflammation — caused by tissue trauma or microbial invasion, it becomes drastic in a short amount of time.
- Chronic inflammation — a long-term inflammation that lasts for months and years.
There are numerous factors for chronic inflammation development, such as difficulty removable infectious organisms, exposure to irritants that can’t be eliminated by enzymatic breakdown, autoimmune disorders, and so forth.
Can inflammation be caused by food?
Inflammation in your guts, if not caused by pathogens or medicaments, can come from foods. Some foods that can become a reason for bowel inflammation are:
- Sugar and high fructose syrups
- Meat cooked at high degree temperatures
- Fried foods
- Refined carbs
Usually, eating anti-inflammatory foods and following careful nutrition that limits the excessive consumption of the triggers is the best way to control food-caused inflammation.
Does sea moss help with inflammation?
If it’s helpful against arthritis, migraines, insomnia, skin issues, and depression, is there a chance that sea moss is good for inflammation?
Yes, Irish sea moss boasts significant anti-inflammatory effects that make it a great remedy against inflammation.
Besides, sea moss has some more advantages worth considering adding it to the diet:
- Bolstered immunity
- Faster and better digestion
- Pumped metabolism
- Boosted brain function
Now, here are some properties of Irish sea moss’ micronutrients that might cushion chronic inflammation:
Vitamins A, E, and C
Vitamins A, E, and C of sea moss are powerful antioxidants(1) that help regulate the immune system, reduce oxidative stress and cushion inflammation. Some of them, particularly vitamin C, can improve the function of the immune cells, while vitamin A bolsters mucous membranes — the barriers against pathogens. This is why Irish sea moss is so effective when it also comes to building up your immunity.
Zinc and selenium
Omega fatty acids
Omega fatty acids are the most effective weapon against inflammation. Omega can reduce the production of pro-inflammatory molecules while promoting the development of anti-inflammatory ones. This way, Omega fatty acids are outstanding against bowel inflammation, migraines, and tissue injuries, as they successfully relieve pain.
Some particular B vitamins(4, 5) — B6 (pyridoxine) and B9 (folate) — can regulate the inflammation in your body. While B9 was only suggested to strongly impact inflammation, B6 was linked to having global, excessive anti-inflammatory properties.
Carrageenan is a complex carbohydrate derived from Red algae. It has been studied for its potential anti-inflammatory effects and is eventually linked to modulating the immune response and reducing the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines(6).
Before incorporating sea moss for inflammation treatment, consult with your healthcare provider first!
To sum up
Inflammation, chronic and acute, can have various reasons. It’s a reaction of your immune system to foreign stimuli. Chronic inflammation can last for days or even years but can be supplementally cushioned.
Irish sea moss, a nutritionally dense species of Red algae, boasts various anti-inflammatory features. Its antioxidative compounds along with minerals like zinc and selenium, B vitamins, Omega fatty acids, and the unique carbohydrate carrageenan can soothe global inflammation and protect against its development.
It’s crucial to consult with your healthcare provider before incorporating True Sea Moss supplements into your routine!
1. Arulselvan P, Fard MT, Tan WS, Gothai S, Fakurazi S, Norhaizan ME, Kumar SS. Role of Antioxidants and Natural Products in Inflammation. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:5276130. doi: 10.1155/2016/5276130. Epub 2016 Oct 10. PMID: 27803762; PMCID: PMC5075620.
2. Bao, B., Ahmad, A., Azmi, A., Li, Y., Prasad, A., & Sarkar, F. H. (2013). The Biological Significance of Zinc in Inflammation and Aging. Inflammation, Advancing Age and Nutrition, 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-397803-5.00002-2
3. Huang, Z., Rose, A. H., & Hoffmann, P. R. (2012). The Role of Selenium in Inflammation and Immunity: From Molecular Mechanisms to Therapeutic Opportunities. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 16(7), 705-743. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2011.4145
4. Du X, Yang Y, Zhan X, Huang Y, Fu Y, Zhang Z, Liu H, Zhang L, Li Y, Wen Q, Zhou X, Zuo D, Zhou C, Li L, Hu S, Ma L. Vitamin B6 prevents excessive inflammation by reducing accumulation of sphingosine-1-phosphate in a sphingosine-1-phosphate lyase-dependent manner. J Cell Mol Med. 2020 Nov;24(22):13129-13138. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.15917. Epub 2020 Sep 23. PMID: 32967056; PMCID: PMC7701526.
5. Asbaghi, O., Ashtary-Larky, D., Bagheri, R., Moosavian, S. P., Nazarian, B., Afrisham, R., Kelishadi, M. R., Wong, A., Dutheil, F., Suzuki, K., & Naeini, A. A. (2021). Effects of Folic Acid Supplementation on Inflammatory Markers: A Grade-Assessed Systematic Review and Dose–Response Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrients, 13(7). https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13072327
6. Mansouri MT, Hemmati AA, Naghizadeh B, Mard SA, Rezaie A, Ghorbanzadeh B. A study of the mechanisms underlying the anti-inflammatory effect of ellagic acid in carrageenan-induced paw edema in rats. Indian J Pharmacol. 2015 May-Jun;47(3):292-8. doi: 10.4103/0253-7613.157127. PMID: 26069367; PMCID: PMC4450555.
Dive into Wellness with Genuine Sea Moss! 🌊
Design your ideal sea moss package and receive a 20% subscription discount. Discover a spectrum of tastes and subscribe to harness the continuous advantages of Sea Moss. Begin your wellness journey now! ❤️COOL, TASTE NOW
Want To Receive More Information?
Follow us to receive the latest update on our healthy experience